Re: can't shut down

Replying to the message sent by Douglas Pollard  on Mon, 27 Jan 2003
09:25:33 -0400, received at 15:27:20 on 27/01/2004. Douglas Pollard
wrote:
> I'm a newby to debian linux and feeling pretty dumb. I have managed to
partition my hard drive and install Debian but I can't figure out how to
get into root in order to shut down my machine. If I am in Gnome how do
I close Debian-linux down. If someone would walk me through from Gnome
> I would be thankful. At the present time I am shuting down with th off
button on the front of my machine.
>                                                 Doug

open a Konsole window (i don't know what its called in gnome probably
the same) and type the following command:

su -

and then type the root password. Then type the following command:

shutdown -t now

There ya go