using regex substitution on BASH variables

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 01:05:08PM +0100, Philipp Weis wrote:
> On 26 Jan 2004, Matt Price <matt.price@utoronto.ca> wrote:
> > So I asusme the script is running, but it's not receiving the data it
> > needs, or at least not understanding it.
> >

> Procmail sends the message via STDIN, so you would have to read it from
> there. As you have to read the message more than once for the different
> formail calls, it would probably be best to save the message in a
> temporary file and read it from there afterwards. So put a
>
>   msg=`tempfile`; cat > "$msg"
>
> on top of your script and replace all $@'s with $msg. Don't forget to
> delete $msg when your done.

Thanks for this, that fixed the initial probem.
A follow up:  I'd like to strip the '@' sign from user addresses as a
minimal precaution against spam-oriented webcrawlers.  so I have a
variable
FROM=`formail -x From: <$msg`

which has the value:

echo $FROM
Matt Price <my.address@my.host>

Now, if this information were stored in a file, it would be simple to
manipulate with regex's:

sed 's/@/ -at- /' addressfile

But I don't see an obvious way to get sed or awwk to take variable values
as input.  I can do the following:

FROM=`formail -x"From:" < "$msg"` ;
echo $FROM > tempfrom
FROM=$(sed 's/@/ -at- /' tempfrom)

but this strikes me as awkward.  Is there a better way?

thx,
matt