Need Tips tricks to use Kodak DX6440 camera

I have a Kodak DX6440 Camera. I have determined so far that I have to use it as root...& that ain't gonna happen. I also have determined that it has to be plugged in directly ...NOT through the docking port (at leasdt for now) So 2 things. What type of file system is involved & how to set it up in /etc/fstab. Anyone know of docs, howtos, anything about these cameras. Kodak was very gracious but refused to supply ANY help. I have KDE installed & it does find & tests OK (as root) the camera. I need to know if there are drivers for the dock (luxury). This all connects to a USB port & though I have them compiled in the kernel & there is no problem from a hardware standpoint..I need any advice on making this all work.
Thanks!

--
John Foster