upgrade Woody to Sarge

On a new hard drive, I've installed a basic Woody (ex the 7 CD set) to use to
upgrade to Sarge.

In /etc/apt/sources.list I put:-
       'deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free'
and ran:-            'apt-get update'

Things seemed to go fine initially, but I finished with the following error:-

----------
[snip]
Fetched 2827kB in 38s .......
Reading Package Lists ... Error!
E.  Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E.  Error occured while processing vrwave (NewVersion2)
E.  Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/
      http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_testing_non-free_binary-i386_Packages
E.  The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened

I haven't yet configured this Woody for email yet, so this is being sent from
another OS.

I'd be grateful for an explanation, and any suggestions to get over this problem.
(Is the problem only with the 'non-free'?)

Regards,                John.