bad fonts in kde after installing gnome

Before I found out that gnome was broken (running Sarge), I d/led all the
gnome files to try running gnome. I have been using kde. Since I couldn't
get it to work (gnome), I deleted all the files I installed. I use two
different users/logins because of different email addresses. Now the fonts
for one of the users are horrible..not very readable and very jagged. I
didn't change any settings before trying to install gnome. When I log in as
the other user, the fonts are fine.
This seems to be for all applications that I run.
Any idea what could have happened?
btw- I tried adding a new user and fonts are bad on that kde screen also :(
Thanks