Re: Cannot Open Root Device - Was: Unidentified subject!

Hi,

Hi Kent, sorry for not using a meaningful subject, often time I overlook those emails without a useful subject myself, never know what you will get with all these crazy viruses, etc. going around...smile.  I hit SEND before checking my email more carefully.

Also to Andreas, I am sorry I responded to your response and my email package uses the poster, not the newsgroup, as it's TO: address.  I try never to respond directly unless the poster requests it.  Also, by responding back to the newsgroup maybe others can benefit from the thread.

As far as I know my disk configuration has not changed and I have not added any new hard drives.  I remember doing something with the kernel a while back, but it has worked since then, unless I was very lucky and now my luck has run out...smile.

My system is dual boot, Windows XP on one drive as partition hda1 and then linux as one partition on a second hard drive as hdb1, with three dos partitions on that same drive (hdb5, hdb6, hdb7).  Do I type this at the lilo boot screen:  linux root=/dev/hdb1?  And if I can't get that to boot into Debain, how do I check the boot loader configuration?

I will try booting from my original install disk and check the hard drive, which I hope is not going bad.
And I will check the /etc/lilo.conf, now that I get thinking more about this I, as I stated earlier I changed the kernel and I thought the I read somewhere to change the /etc/lilo.conf, maybe that was not the thing to do. I just checked my notes and found this from when I changed the kernel:

Add initrd=/initrd to /etc/lilo.conf.  If I have already done so, then put do_initrd=YES in
/etc/kernel-img.conf.

Which I recall doing.  Maybe we are on to something here?

I am learning as I go, even though I have been doing basic things with Linux for a number of years.  I will let everyone know what I find.

Thanks for the help and I will keep you informed of my success, hopefully...smile.

James E. Merritt