Re: VA box network install challenge

Thanks for your helpful response.

Here's some output from the different troubleshooting attempts.

- /etc/init.d/networking stop -- resulted in this: "SIOCDELRT: No such device"

- running "mii-tool" as root resulted in this: "No MII interfaces found"

- bringing up interface manually with ifup eth0 gave this: "interface already configured"

- I rebooted the box, paying careful attention to the bootup output, and saw "SIOCDBCAST: No such device" flash by.

So although the Debian installer saw the card and installed the eepro100 driver, some part of the operating system appears not to see the network hardware.

Any other ideas?

I'm thinking that Debian is not happy with the VA/Intel ethernet chip set. At this point, I'm going to try installing a 3Com PCI network card in the box, to see if the OS sees that.