Re: Future of Linux Question

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:04:50 -0600
David.Grudek@anixter.com wrote:

> Why doesn't someone develop a similar protocol to Microsoft's network
> neighborhood and smb for Linux.  So when you join a NIS like system
> that it will automatically authenticate you  on your Linux network
> with your currently logged in user name and password.  This way people
> that are accustomed to using Microsoft networking could just migrate
> over with a similar path.  For users that are going to be desktop
> users they are going to rely on a gui front end with something like
> network neighborhood. Please let me know what you guy's think about
> this.

Well, as has been stated, LDAP and Kerberos provide a single-sign-on
environment for *nix networks, though they're quite complicated for
small outfits. As for lack of a "Network Neighborhood" GUI, I think that
part of the reason is a conflict with some deep Unix philosophies. Unix
grew up in the world of the big iron server and small, even dumb,
clients. Its networking systems are designed so that there are few
network resources, but those resources are integral to being on the
network at all (NFS-shared user /home's, for example). Windows was born
on desktops, and never really left them in philosophy. You need a
network browser for Windows because its natural environment is one with
many resources spread across relatively powerful desktops. Very
different roots, and thus rather different technologies built upon them.

--
Todd Pytel

Signature attached
PGP Key ID 77B1C00C