DECchip 21041 can send/receive packets, but no data in them

I recently upgraded from a working 2.4.x kernel to a 2.6.1 (Performa 6360, arch=pmac) In that old kernel, my network card was working fine. Now, with the new kernel, it no longer does. I am able to ping google.com, and it replies just fine. But, when I telnet google.com 80, it will not return any data. As soon as it should, it says that the connection was closed by the remote host. This apparently only happens with connections that must go through my home router (Netgear WGR614), as I was able to do a successful transfer by doing this on one of my other machines:
nc -l -p 5616

and then telnet 192.168.0.3 5616 on my Linux machine. I was then able to type on both ends. But, ssh and other such things do not work at all (from either side) Could someone please try to help me with this problem? Thanks,
Steven

P.S. - I posted a similar problem on the debian-powerpc mailing list recently, and nobody responded within a reasonable time frame. I hope that by moving to a higher-volume list I might have better chances. But, because of the high volume, I would prefer not to subscribe to this list in addition to debian-powerpc.

Therefore, could any replies please be CC'd to me?  Thanks again,

Steven Schlansker