Re: Debian testing: problems with x-sessions and sound.

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 02:25:29PM +0000, Adam wrote:
> I've installed Debian testing with gdm on an Athlon system.  The Debian and
> KDE sessions work (and are the same); so does "failsafe xterm", which is a
> bit bare for my taste.
>
> Every time I try GNOME or Failsafe GNOME, I get the following error
> message:
>
>  There was an error startin the GNOME Settings Daemon.
>  Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work
> correctly.
>  The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.
>  The last error message was:
>  Failed to activate 'OAFID:GNOME_SettingsDaemon'

Last time I had this error it was due to incomplete gnome
installation. It has been a while, but I think I had to install
gnome-control-center. Check your error files for more info.

ls .*-errors

Maybe also install metacity.

> Yesterday I installed wmaker and added a symlink in /etc/gdm/Sessions to
> the wmaker binary.  This allowed me to log in to WindowMaker, but screwed
> up GNOME and KDE.

Instead of symlink, revert to previous /etc/gdm/Sessions  and create a
file ~/.xsession that consists of

#!/bin/sh
exec wmaker

--