apt-get dist-upgrade

Help.

I seem to have developed a problem during my update.  The mirror selected
must be overwhelmed or just slow.  My update time remaining is swinging
from 7hrs to 4days!  Is is possible to stop and restart without causing a
mess?

Relatively familiar with Linux, used since 94, but this is my first machine
to play with debian.  So far very impressed with debian overall.

details of machine.

hardware, box stock toshiba tecra8000 laptop of 400mhz PII fame.
neomagic video
opl3sa2 audio
64megs ram, yah I know it is not much but it runs most things fine.
6gig HD
removable CDrom, floppy or LS-120

Current Os, Debian woody, attempted final OS, Debian Sarge.
only added packages are opera, openoffice, flash plugin, java, and
realplayer.