Re: Newbie needs help :-)

Jaume Alonso wrote:

Hi!
Well, today I've installed Sarge and finally all went OK (it was the third time I tryed it). But I have a problem:

GNOME 2.4 does not work :-(
I use GDM and when I selectioned session GNOME and my user name and password it didn't work, it says that did not find gnome-session. I went to debian website and I downloaded the gnome session. Then I went to gdm, put GNOME, my user name and password and it says:

There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.

The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.

The last error message was:

Failed to activate 'OAFIID:GNOME_SettingsDaemon'

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon netx time you log in.

Rather than going "to the debian website and I download[ing] the gnome session", you might find it easier just to "apt-get install gnome".

Another thing: I've istalled WinXP and Debian in my computer but when I start it, LILO boots directly debian. How can I configure LILO to ask me which OS I want to boot every time that I start my computer??

Edit /etc/lilo.conf, and add a stanza that looks something like this:

other=/dev/hda1
                  label=WinXP

Then save the file and run "lilo".

--