Re: USb-mouse (logitech trackman)

Roelof Wobben wrote:
Yesterday I installed Debian Woody.
Everything works great only my mouse doesn'work.
I have a Logitach Trackman.

Two levels on which the problem could lie: either with the kernel driver, or with the X driver.

To begin with, see if the mouse is working at a kernel level: do a "cat /dev/input/mice" as root. You should see nasty spewing output when you move the mouse.

If this works okay, the next step is to configure XFree86 by editing the file /etc/X11/XF86Config using a text editor of your choice. I use a logitech mouse, and have an "InputDevice" section containing:

#-----------------------Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
        Option      "Buttons" "6"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "SampleRate" "100"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
        Option      "Buttons" "6"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "SampleRate" "100"
EndSection

Yours will probably require some tweaking.

If the initial test failed, you will need to load some kernel modules for your mouse to work. In this case, please supply the output of the "lsmod" command (again, as root).

Regards,
John Spray
(jcs116 at york.ac.uk)