Re: X-windows on Sony PCV RX360DS (updated XF86Config-4)

Matthew Kokidko wrote:

Great suggestions. I've got xwindows starting up with "vesa" as a driver, "vga" didn't work. the screen cuts about an inch and a half off the top and leaves shadows of windows when they are moved (sometimes the top bar appears at the bottom of the screen).

I'm pretty sure you're saying the "vga" driver doesn't work at all, and that the "vesa" driver does, but with the above-mentioned problems (but you might be saying the "vesa" driver works, and the "vga" driver doesn't work because of the problems mentioned).

UseFBDev true/false shows no effect. Ive set default depth to 16. I'm fairly certain lspci reported an intel i815 but I thought I had an i810. Either way I was thinking I needed to add agp support. I've been unable to find a tutorial or help on that. Once upon an install ago I upgraded the kernel to add support, but apparantly I didn't leave all the other settings the same because my Roadrunner broadband didn't work. If possible I'd prefer to avoid that route unless necessary.

It sounds like you compiled your own kernel. Yeah, I'd avoid going that route also. However, you can install a pre-compiled kernel quite easily (in most cases), and if you're running anything older than a 2.4.18 kernel, that's what I'd recommend you do.

"apt-cache search kernel-image-2.4" to see a list of available kernels
followed by something like
"apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.22-1-686" or whichever kernel matches your hardware.

I've attached my updated XF86Config-4. Any suggestions on how to proceed will be welcomed. Thank You again.

ps (and completely unrelated). Is there something similar to Msoft's "path" statement where I wouldn't have to type "mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/win -t vfat" every time I reboot.

Edit /etc/fstab adding a line similar to:
/dev/hda1    /mnt/win    vfat    rw    0       2

--
Kent