Re: Boot to execute lilo

> There was a similar question few days/weeks ago; the way I do it is to
> boot off an install cd, mount the system fs at /mnt/foo; and do chroot
> /mnt/foo.  Then I can play with the system, as if I booted normally.
> The tricky part is to resolve which partition your system resides on ;-)

This worked. Here the way I did it (maybe for the FAQ)

.) Booting with the installation DVD (testing)
.) Aborting the installation process to get to the main menu
.) Entering the shell
.) mount /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2 /mnt
   (corresponds to /dev/hda2)
.) chroot /mnt
.) lilo
   (it complains that it can't find /proc/partions but nevertheless
   it's working)
.) exit
.) umount /mnt
.) reboot

> > I have an old SuSE CD, where I have the option 'boot installed system',
> > where I could boot my system just to run lilo and then reboot regularly.
>
> Maybe you'd be even able to use this; I tend to use the Debian Binary-1 CD.

It was also working but I won't have it with me all the time. Now I
don't rely on it in the future.

Thank you for your help.

Florian.