Re: Mozilla broken, does not start up

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 08:43:40PM +0100, A.L.Meyers wrote:
> Kent West <westk@acu.edu> writes:
>
> > A.L.Meyers wrote:
> >
> >>Hi!  Trying to start Mozilla recently does nothing.  ps -A tells me that
> >>a task called mozilla-bin is running but the browser does not come up.
> >>Same systems runs konqueror and netscape perfectly.  Galeon, however,
> >>will not start up either.  Advice appreciated.
> >>
> > Try killing all instances of mozilla, then rename your ~/.mozilla
> > directory to move it out of the way, and then start moz. If it starts,
> > you can move your bookmarks, etc back over and hopefully recover from
> > there.
> >
> > You might even want to restart X; it seems to me that sometimes Moz and
> > friends somehow get hosed over time (memory leaks?), and a restart of X
> > fixes it (reminds me of Windows - yuck, but at least you don't have to
> > restart the box, just X).
>
> Unfortunately these do not work.  One further information is that not
> only mozilla-bin but another process called "gconfd-2" is left hanging
> and must be killed.

Are you running testing or unstable?  It seems like you have a new
version of Gnome and an old Mozilla, and Galeon which is not in testing.
You might get Galeon and Mozilla to work by killing gconfd-2, if it is
running, then starting gconfd-1, and then the browser.  Better yet,
apt-get the current versions of mozilla and mozilla-firebird.

--
No character, however upright, is a match for constantly reiterated attacks,
however false.