Re: init-script question: iptables and networking

On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 01:21, Antony Gelberg wrote:

> Have a look in /etc/defaults/iptables.  This suggests that the package

Aha.
Hmmm. I wonder, would I ever have found this myself...?
[assume a medium-sized rant about hidden docs here. It's just that I'm
too lazy to actually write it, and besides, there's been a thread
turning to flamewars just a few days ago].

I will, however, add /etc/defaults/ to the list of "places to check if
something doesn't work". It's a good idea, actually -- I just never
noticed it.

> > Next, in /etc/init.d/networking I found the following:

> That function is called by the line lower down "doopt ip_forward no".
> And doopt looks in /etc/network/options.  If you put ip_forward=yes in
> /etc/network/options, that will turn on IP forwarding.

Ouch. Once again slapping my forehead. I wonder if these things are
responsible for my receding hairline?

cu,
Schnobs