FreeS/WAN patch compatibility with freeswan package?

Hi,

I have a server where I'd like to be able to use functionality provided by later versions of the freeswan kernel patch --- namely, 0.9.14 of the X.509 patches provided support for the leftprotoport/rightprotoport.  (http://www.strongsec.com/freeswan/install.htm#section_4.5).

I'd rather not have to build my own versions of the freeswan package, but use the one already included with Debian Woody.  Is this possible if I'm running a later version of the freeswan kernel patch (like this one: http://www.strongsec.com/freeswan/x509patch-0.9.37-freeswan-1.99.tar.gz)?  Or will I have to track both the kernel patch and a later version of the freeswan tools?

I thought I could use sarge's freeswan package, but being that I'm rather new to Debian, I don't know a whole lot about just upgrading that one package.  Suggestions for the best "debian way" to do something like this would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

--
adam