ssh-askpass ?!

Hello,
I've recently apt-get upgraded my sid, then discovered something
wrong...
I always used to use ssh with a command line like this:
$ ssh -l user hostname.domain.name
If I do it now, it tells me that file /usr/bin/ssh-askpass is missing.
Then I installed ssh-askpass-gnome, the GTK2 frontend for ssh-askpass...
When I am root, ssh does function normally, it asks me for the password
directly on the shell; when I am an user, and am in X, it asks me for a
password in a GTK2 dialog box; I have read ssh's manpage, where is
written that if the ambient variable SSH_ASKPASS is set, then
ssh-askpass will be invoked. But that variable does not exist!
Another thing: when I do ssh from a tty such as tty1, it does not ask me
the password, writing into the shell something like this:
Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).
I understand what these mean, but I cannot log in the remote host... :P
What can I do? I want to use ssh as I've used for years!
Thank you for any reply :)
Bye