Re: checking whether partition mounted as ext3

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:00:51 -0500, Paul Morgan <paulswm@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 13:51:28 -0700, Doug Holland wrote:
>
>> On Sun 18 Jan 2004 1:16 pm, Faheem Mitha wrote:
>>> Dear People,
>>>
>>> Just wondering if anyone knows of a easy and definitive way to
>>> determine whether a specific mounted partition is ext2 or ext3, and if
>>> ext3, whether is mounted as "ordered data" or "journal". Currently, I
>>> look at the boot messages, but they are not always clear.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>>                                                            Faheem.
>>
>> Run mount at the command line, with no arguments, and it'll tell you which
>> filesystems are mounted with which fs types.
>>
>> I'm not sure how to tell which mode an ext3 partition is using, though I think
>> running fsck may tell you.
>
> Running "mount", as you suggest, will tell you with which options the FS
> was mounted, including the journaling mode.

It just seems to echo what is in /etc/fstab. I wanted something which
actually went and checked the partitions.

BTW, I was under the impression that it was necessary to specify the
mounting of root (/) at boot time, in the grub menu or some such,
rather than /etc/fstab. I was just looking at stuff which suggested
this may not be necessary. Can anyone point me to a definitive
reference on this?

Thanks.

                                                             Faheem.