modules

I just installed the new 2.6 K7 kernel but I can't use it because my serial
mouse does not work.

After doing some researching & reading I got totally confused about modules.

Where I am at:
I think there is a module missing maybe the serial module if there is such a
thing and that is why my mouse will not work.

If that is correct how do I get this module?
Do I have to get a kernel source and recompile my own kernel or do I add some
file in to a directory called module?
How do I know what module I need at the first place?

Can someone enlighten me about modules?
--
Dennis Kaplan

http://vmclinks.com