Re: Installing mplayer 1.0pre3 from source

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 03:49:48PM -0600, Todd Pytel wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 08:35:06 -0600
> Benjamin Sher <sher07@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> > I am a newbie but I thought I should try to install mplayer from
> > source. So I downloaded the tarball source for mplayer 1.0pre3 and,
> > using gcc3.33 compiler on Xandros 2.0 (Debian), I compiled it. It
> > looks fine but nothing happens when I try to launch it.
>
> Your enthusiasm is admirable, and it is generally a good learning
> experience compiling things from source. Mplayer, however, is not the
> package to do this with, as you're finding out. It's incredibly tedious,
> has a zillion optional codecs, some of which are hard to find and
> conflict with one another, and generally leaves you with a huge variety
> of libraries, codecs, includes, and other crap lying around your
> filesystem. Trust me, I've done it. It was a stupid exercise, entirely
> not worth the trouble.

It's hard but only "first order hard" -- just keep plodding and you'll
get it.  And I like to do it from source so I know it's optimal.

Here's my changes to the debian/rules file:
configure-stamp:
        dh_testdir
        # Add here commands to configure the package.
        $(checkdir)
        ./configure --prefix=/usr --confdir=/etc/mplayer \
        --enable-live --with-livelibdir=/x/b/mplay/live \
        --with-win32libdir=/usr/local/lib/extralite \
        --with-win32libdir=/usr/local/lib/extralite \
        --with-reallibdir=/usr/local/lib/extralite \
        --with-xanimlibdir=/usr/local/lib/xanimdlls \
        --enable-gui $(DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS)

because I unpack the extralite and xanimdlls to that place,
and I've done the live stuff from source to that place.

Just run fakeroot debian/rules configure | less until you've gotten
all the *-dev packages installed.  Usually it's clear what packages to
install, but sometimes I had to look carefully at the makefile to see
why the test was failing.

For convenience, I've put a list of all my installed packages here:
http://home.comcast.net/~40101.nospam/pkg

Getting RTSP:// and PNM:// RealMedia streaming was the *last* thing I
got working: to do that, you need to download and build the live.com
stuff.

It's a very rewarding exercise to get it going.  It probably took me
about a week to get everything but live.com going, then a few months
later it took me another week to figure that out.