Re: proper use of aptitude in stable/unstable mixed systems

also sprach Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> [2004.01.17.1124 +0100]:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 08:34:07PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> > Debian's nice in terms of dependency handling, but this really
> > only applies to stable. I wonder why we don't accept the fact
> > that a lot of users run a total mixture, like a stable base,
> > with packages from testing and unstable as needed, and start
> > thinking that way?
>
> Because it's a total nightmare to support (i.e. construct
> consistent dependency trees for) and doesn't really work properly
> as it is?

Really? Here is an algorithm:

b = broken_package_count
foreach dependency:
  if versioned:
    automark specific version of dependency package for installation
    if broken_package_count > b:
      unmark version for installation
      notify user of failure to automatically fulfill dependencies
  else:
    automark dependency package for installation

This would at least try to do its best. What are the problems with
it?

`. `'`