Re: confused about initrd.gz vs. initrd.img

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 09:40:54AM +0100, David Baron wrote:
> I, too, have a knoppix install which has an image of 2.4.22-xfs. I installed
> this on ext2 partition originally, want to go over to ext3, need an initrd to
> do so since the that image does not have ext3 compiled in. I made an initird
> (cramfs) according to instructions in the Debian Reference but it does not
> work.
>
> A suggestion was that since my Linux partition is not the first on on the
> disk, the initrd fails. Since the message I get is FAT bogus sector size 0,
> his is quite plausible. A non-initrd boot has not problems with this at all.
>
> A suggestion was that I should make a .gz image rather than the cramfs. Tried
> that but the loader would not eat it. Gz is not compiled in either :-(.
> Debian apparently does support cramfs, contrary to statements otherwise. The
> gz attempt did not panic but was logged as an unsupported compressed type and
> the boot proceeded without it. Still no ext3 journal running.
>
> (Why would an image have xfs and no ext3? My guess is that it might just be in
> the name but have not xfs partition to try out on it.)  Initrd.gz vs
> initrd.img? These are also just names. I can make a gz and call it img and
> visa-versa. The lilo should call for your file name.
Hi David,
Mr. Knoppix made changes to allow for xfs among other things. I recall
installing knoppix and then removing the 'initrd=' entry and it worked.
This may not be true for the current one. I have read emails about
making an initrd and it is a little complicated. I have not done it. I'd
suggest to google the mailing list for an idea or post a question here
or on the knoppix mailing list. If the debian ref has a mistake, email
someone! it may be a real bug. Not sure about the position being the
problem with your initrd error. AFAIK, all kernels support gz (gunzip).
are you aware that simply NAMING something gz is not going to work? You
must use the 'gzip' to make initrd.img to initrd.img.gz. If you have
your /etc/fstab setup with 'ext3' and it says it is ext2, you may have
to run the 'setup' commands to make ext2 into ext3. I recall ext2/3
being supported in the default knoppix kernel. If not, you always
upgrade to a debian kernel-packages.
cheers!
-Kev