NEC DiamondPoint V50LCD panel flickers under X 4.2.1-12.1 (testing)

My CRT monitor having died, I purchased a Mitusbishi/NEC DiamondPoint
V50LCD 15" LCD panel.  It worked fine for a couple of days, but now
I'm getting a very irritating flicker.  The visual impression I get
is that individual horizontal scan lines are being jittered sideways
several pixels, several times a second, and not always the same scan
line.

This is at the panel's stated native resolution of 1027x768 and at
800x600.  If I switch to 640x480 it's rock-solid again.

Video is the S3 Savage 4, part of the Apollo K133 chipset on my
Biostar M7VKL motherboard.

Rebooting (and installing discover and libglide2 as requested by the
Debian X documentation) seemed to fix the problem temporarily, but
it's recurring now.  Is this likely to be a problem with the panel
itself?

Tomorrow I'll take the 30 minutes to plug the panel into my laptop
and see if it still flickers.

Thanks for any help.
--
Carl Fink             carl@fink.to