Re: Documentation and Usability

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 07:07:46PM -0600, David wrote:
> I think one needs to ask himself why he is using Debian, or Linux in any
> form.  You have people administering servers, or other very intense
> professional usages.  I think these people deserve serions attention.

If they're doing it for professional purposes then they can afford to
spend a lot of time figuring it out on their own. I mean they're making
a living off of it.

> Then you have strictly hobbyist, or people who use it for personal use
> for whatever reasons.  I fall into this category.  I have asked some
> questions on this list.  Some were answered and some were not.  But I
> think that our questions are not as pressing as the first.  Sure, we
> want to get our problems solved, but they are not as time-critical as
> that of the first group.

I think these people's concerns are very important, for the simple reason
that they seem to be (from my experience with this list) the vast
majority of people seeking help. If someone is trying to do some crazy
rocket science project, helping them with that won't help anyone else.
But if someone has a basic problem, a lot of other people with the same
problem can benefit from the solution.

> But I see a tremendous number of questions (some of mine, maybe, too),
> that should have no need to be asked.  They are really nothing but
> hand-holding questions.

This isn't entirely fair. Often someone won't even know where to start
looking. I almost invariably take the long route and figure everything
out for myself, but there are times when this costs me weeks when I
could have got the solution in minutes, just by asking.

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>
http://www.crasseux.com