Re: Debugging rsh

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 03:42:34AM -0800, ms419@freezone.co.uk wrote:
> I am trying to rsh to my server. I am using kerberos authentication. I
> believe I have configured everything correctly, but rsh simply
> complains: "hostname: Connection refused". I checked my "inetd.conf".
> Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to debug rsh. Even using the "-d"
> option, nothing is printed either to stdout or the logs.
>
> How can I debug rsh to determine why I can't connect?

Not rsh related but things a few tools that can help diagnose a lot of
network related problems:

hostname and dig -x to check for dns related problems
tcpdump or the graphical ethereal to look at network traffic to see
what is actually going on.
tracerout and ping to check for remote machines and bottle necks/broken
connections.
nmap (remote checking) and netstat -tulpen (local) to see what ports
are actually open.

>From the error message it seems that either a firewall is blocking you,
nothing is willing to accept you rsh connection or you are using a
wrong username/password or mis-configured rhost (don't know much about
that last one, sorry).

If you have physical access to the remote machine (or someone you
know), you can start by trying to rsh from the machine to itself.