Re: Xfree setup: does AGP require anything special?

Jonathan Matthews wrote:
Doing a bit of advocay, I've managed to convince a friend to try Debian on his newly put-together PC for a bit, while he saves up the £165 WinXP tax.

Unfortunately, I'm not doing a great job. I did a netinstall from debian-installer (12-01-04, FWIW, and it *rocks*!), but can't seem to get X to come up at all.

I'll happily post any config files here, but (off the top of my head) the problem is that X bombs after a couple of seconds with "no screens found". He's got a NVidia FX mumble in there.

If I could get the damn thing to work with even the vesa driver, I'd know where to start - but I can't. I've got mdetect, read-edid and discover installed (all before apt-get installing xserver-xfree86), but this doesn't seem to help.

So -

o any AGP gotchas I should look out for? I've only installed on a PCI system before ..

o What's the lowest common denominator driver that I should be starting with to get over the absolutely-no-GUI-accessible hurdle?

o What files can I post here to help you help me?

TIA - I really need some advice!
jc

What hardware (CPU, mobo chipset, video card w/ model)
and software (kernel, XFree86 version, nvidia driver
version, Debian version) are you working with?

Also, go ahead and send in the config files (X and kernel), dmesg,
and logs (kernel, syslog, and XFree86.log).

-Roberto