Re: ati radeon 9200 - slow 3d acceleration

LeVA wrote:
Hi!

I have an ati radeon 9200 card, and want to use it's 3d acceleration.

Info:

 o XFree86 Version 4.3.99.902 (4.4.0 RC 2)
   - radeon drm as module (from the Xdrm.tgz package, source)
XFree86 4.3 from experimental will do just fine, unless you would
rather use the binary fglrx module, which is available for
X 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3.  Thus you can run Woody, Sarge, or Sid, and
it will work.
 o Driver from the ati's hp 3.7.0
   - fglrx (xfree driver, and kernel module by that name)
   - ati's libGL.so
Good, that is the latest release.
 o linux-2.4.24 kernel
   - agpgart as module
   - radeon drm as module
You should really compile AGPGART into the kernel, but it is ultimately
a matter of preference.

I have to load the fglrx kernel module first, and after that, I can load the agpgart, and radeon drm modules.
This is WRONG.  You first load the agpgart module, and then the radeon
OR fglrx, but not both.  This should be accomlished by adding the
appropriate lines to /etc/modules.

I've also downloaded that SDLgears-1.0.2.tar.gz (http://www.libsdl.org/opengl/SDLgears-1.0.2.tar.gz) and compiled it, and I can see those gears spinning.

What is the framerate you are getting?

My problem is (at least I think it is a problem), that when I start X, and start that glxgears program, and during this I type 'lsmod' to a console, I see that no process is using the loaded modules (fglrx, agpgart etc...), although I'm using the fglrx driver in my XF86Config file.
That in because you must load agpgart first (see my comment above).

Programs, which needs 3d acceleration (tuxracer, unreal tournament) are very slow, but that glxgears program tells me, that it runs at 240fps.

What is the output of `glxinfo |grep render'?  You almost certainly
do not have direct rendering enabled.  Also, what is in your
/var/log/XFree86.log and /etg/X11/XF86-Config4?

I'm loading the glx, and the GLcore modules, but I can not load the dri module too. It conflicts with the glx mod, so when I select to load both of them, I get this error (when starting x):

Fatal server error:
__glXExtensionInit: AddExtensions failed

I must choose, wether to load the dri or the glx module. But I think I need both of them, cause when I start glxgears, it says:
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".

And when starting unrealtournament, I get this error message:

X Error of failed request:  XF86DGANoDirectVideoMode
  Major opcode of failed request:  136 (XFree86-DGA)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  2 (XF86DGADirectVideo)
  Serial number of failed request:  114
Signal: SIGSEGV [segmentation fault]
Aborting.
XIO:  fatal IO error 0 (Success) on X server ":0.0"
      after 125 requests (123 known processed) with 5 events remaining.

All of the above errors are with the 'fglrx' xfree driver, and glx (no dri then) and glcore loaded .

I tried to use xfree's 'radeon' driver, with xfree's libGL.so, and fglrx kernel module unloaded. The speed of the glxgears was still high (~120fps), and tuxracer was still very slow, but I could at least start unreal tournament. But that was pretty slow too.
That is not a high frame rate.  I have a Radeon 9000 Pro on a system
with an AMD XP 2500+.  My glxgears framerate is between 2200 and 2300
fps.

I think that my system doesn't use the 3d acceleration of my radeon card at all.
That is almost certainly true.

Which xfree driver do you recommend, the 'fglrx' or the buil-tin 'radeon' driver? And what modules do I need to load (glx,dri,glcore?), if I want to play 3d games smoothly?
Anybody have the same problem with an ati card?

I use the fglrx module (so that I can play Neverwinter Nights).  But
the radeon module give better performance for everything else.  The
pain about the fglrx module is that it is an extra step that you must
accomplish each time you install a kernel.

-Roberto