Re: Documentation and Usability was Re: EXT3 at install..no more?

Mac McCaskie wrote:

I will have to ditto Monique's frustration.

Frustration over Joseph Guida MD's trolling? Excellent, that's how the majority that have responded to this post feel as well! =)

I am a debian noobie. However, I started working with IBM PC's in '83 and later graduated to XT's on the job. The first windows I installed was 2.0 (a runtime version for a tape backup program). Over the years I've seen Novell perfect it's security and gradually fade into the background, DOS disappear, and Windows mature into the juggenaut we all love to hate.

If you want Debian to eventually follow DOS, then neglect new users and ignore documentation. Keep knowledge to yourselves and allow only club members to know the secret incantations.

Woah, doesn't seem like you're agreeing with Monique after all...mmkay.

<Rant>
WTF? Anyone that can *read* can learn the "secret incantations". Documentation in its current state may not "spoonfeed" anyone, and it could indeed be better. You seem to forget, as did the original poster, that Debian is a volunteer effort; it is not run by a large corporation like Redhat.

Personally, as a Linux user since 1997, documentation in general for Linux is *far* better than what it was back then. Yet, I managed to set up Slackware on my box (after quite a bit of RTFM) all those years ago. I can only imagine what you'd be saying back then, if you're complaining about a so-called "secret society" here in 2004...

OR, you can work to reduce the frustration and steep learning curve many noobies, including myself and Monique, face when we begin to work on our new Debian box.

Monique was complaining about trolling...try to follow the thread, it's Joseph Guida MD that you agree with. (Not to be totally mean, but if one has been working with computers since '83, I would have thought that the art of following a mailing list thread would have been mastered by now (and google).).
</Rant>

Here's a few links that might help you out, even though you weren't *really* asking for help:

Quoting HOWTO <-- Read this first =P
http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanb/documents/quotingguide.html

Google
http://www.google.com