Re: ping hostnames problem

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 05:19:56PM +0000, Manestro Oliveira wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I can ping now to hostnames inside my network. All I had to do was to use
> the complete domain name (e.g., hostname1.somedomain.something.com). I was
> using the short name (hostname1). You can see that I am a newecomer to
> GNU/Linux world, and I have the right to seem (and to feel) stupid
> sometimes. Maybe I can blame M$ for that. :>)

In that case you can add a domain <your.domain> or search <your.domain>
<any.other> to your /etc/resolv.conf to give domains to search in by
default if the host you gave doesn't resolve a valid name (don't add to
many though or it can make name resolving go rather slow).
Do man resolv.conf for more info.