Re: If a computer is sold with preinstalled SUSE, shouldn't it work with Debian?

ABrady wrote:

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:37:57 -0500
alex <radsky@ncia.net> wrote:

If a computer works with a preinstalled SUSE system and doesn't have
an installed MS Windows system,  what problems can be expected with
adding and running additional systems like Debian and a MS Windows if
the hard drive is properly partitioned?

None. Unless they installed a winmodem in it. Then you might have to do
a little extra work to get it working again.

It would seem ridiculous to sell a computer that has a modem that can't be used with the operating system that came preinstalled. But, supposing it does have a winmodem that works with one linux system, shouldn't it work with any linus system or would it be necessary to develop a different driver for each one? I suppose the easy solution is to install a modem that will work with any OS.

The computers I'm referring to are Walmart's Suse Linux PCs. The specs look very attractive. My thoughts are to move SUSE to a different partitiion and install Debian in its place.

or you can try this one:  (apologies for breaking the line wrap rule)

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product_listing.gsp?cat=117880&path=0%3A3944%3A3951%3A41937%3A86796%3A106562%3A117880