Re: breaking depenancies

> On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 05:42:01AM -0500, Michael B Allen wrote:
>> Colin Watson wrote:
>> >
>> > Recompile webalizer from the Debian source package, altering it so that
>> > it doesn't build the X bits.
>> >
>> > xlibs isn't *that* large a package, though.
>>
>> I baulk at the idea of installing 7.5MB of X libraries just for The
>> Webalizer.
>
> Obviously not just for webalizer, since I believe I've seen you asking
> about other packages that indirectly depend on xlibs.

Yeah, apt-get install slapd want's X (not just the libs -- the whole enchalada).
That's obviously just a depenancy error :(

>> It's not right! The real question is; why does it need X libraries?
>
> Probably for the GD graphics library's XPM output. In fact - how about
> 'apt-get install webalizer libgd2-noxpm'?

No difference.

> I suggest getting used to using 'apt-cache show <package>' and reading
> Depends: lines to work out where dependencies come from. Good package
> management frontends (i.e. not apt-get) should be able to tell you, too;
> even the venerable dselect can do this, so I'd imagine aptitude can as
> well.

I know about apt-cache show. But I'll look into dselect. I think aptitude is a GUI
so I don't think that applies to me.

Thanks,
Mike

--
A program should be written to  model the concepts of the task it
maximizes the  potential for it  to be applied  to tasks that are