Re: I can't access some site with Mozilla SOLVED

Felix C. Stegerman wrote:

Christopher L. Everett wrote:

OK,

I git this problem only once in a while.  Otherwise useful site that I
can't access that give me "connection refused" errors when Moz or
IE on a Windows box behind the same firewall as me works fine.

Here are 2 sample URLS:

http://www.mwave.com/
http://www.egain.com/

I realize that most likely these turkeys have a braindead (MS ISA? )
firewall in place.  So how do I deal?

I think you may have a problem with ECN.

Heh, this fixed it!

"Please note that kernel.org uses Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN), as defined in RFC 3168. Some broken firewalls or gateways may have problem connecting to ECN-enabled servers. Please contact your firewall or gateway vendor for necessary updates."

I had the same problem connecting to my own router through it's web-interface, thanks to ECN being enabled by default in kernel 2.6.x.
If I re-enable ECN, I can't access mwave.com either.
If I disable it again, I can.

To check your settings:
 cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn
This will probably output: 1

To disable it, run:
 echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn
And try connecting to e.g. mwave.com again.

To change this permanently, add:
 net/ipv4/tcp_ecn=0
to /etc/sysctl.conf

Regards,