Re: Re: Re: 3COM Gig ethernet driver compile woes (source from 3COM/ASUS)

-------------------

> On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 10:36:09AM -0600, Ramasubramanian Ramesh wrote:
> > Thanks Collin. The code that is causing problem is in kernel-2.6.test9
> > asm/checksum.h.
>
> Are you sure? I've got 2.6.1-rc1 here patched for powerpc, but the code
> seems to be correct there.
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                  [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]

I just downloaded 2.6.1 and checked. Yes the 2.6.0.test9 in debian has mutiline
asm where as the 2.6.1 source from kernel.org does not. So, it is time for me to go to 2.6.1. Thanks
for following it up to the end for me.

If you do not mind, I have one other doubt. I usually do not use kernal-package
to install new kernels. I always do the following

  1) make bzdisk and test booting from floppy - stay on it for about 3+ days.
  2) make module and module-install - continue testing few days
  3) make zlilo and move to new kernel

Do you see that I am in potential trouble for not using kernel package like
  1) I am confusing apt thinking I am in the old kernel
  2) I am confusing config of packages that might use the apt notion of
     installed kernel

Regards
Ramesh