switching from stable to testing in apt causes problems

I am reposting this because google didn't post my last response for
some reason...
I have recently made the switch over to debian and am
definitely a newbie.  I noticed that when using the apt utilities like
apt-get and apt-cache, much of the software that I want just isn't
available in stable (stable worked fine though).  so i moved over to
testing but couldn't get it to work.  here are the steps that I
took...
1.  first used apt-spy to get a list of testing servers 'apt-spy -d
testing'
2.  then tried 'apt-cache search firebird'
but it didn't work it kept on giving me a "Couldn't stat source
package list ftp://mirrors.usc.edu TESTING/contrib Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/mirrors.usc.edu_pub_linux_distructions_debian_dists_TESTING_contrib_binary_i386_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)"
error type of message for each testing source in my sources.list file

i then tried running 'apt-get update' and got the same error.  why
does this process work under stable but not testing?  I have scoured
the google groups site trying to figure this out and have read close
to a hundred articles probably and would really appreciate some help.
Anyone?  Below is my sources.list file.  Thanks!

#This sources.list was generated by apt-sources v2.20
#Copyright(c) 2001 by Danny Rodriguez
#
# The following site was benchmarked at 91.36 kB/s
deb ftp://linux.csua.berkeley.edu/debian/ TESTING main

#The following site wsa benchmarked at 72.89 kB/s
deb ftp://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/debian/ TESTING
contrib

#The following site was benchmarked at 61.57 kB/s
deb ftp://debian.mirrors.pair.com/ TESTING non-free

--Enantiomer--