Kernel issues

I currently have an install of Woody 3.0r1 with the "2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr
14 09:53:28 CEST 2002 i686 GNU/Linux" kernel.

I have been following the Debian security announcements and I am aware of
the kernel security vulnerabilities.  I would therefore like to upgrade as
soon as possible, really.

I noticed on a recent apt-get update && apt-get upgrade (around Jan 5) some
kernel components were downloaded.  Does this mean they the new and latest
kernel image has been installed?  I have noticed
"kernel-source-2.4.18.tar.bz2" in /usr/src and this was created on Jan 5 -
is this likely to be what apt-get retrieved?

On the subject of kernel recompilation, what method is recommended?  Would I
be advised to use a Debian packaged kernel or retrieve the latest kernel
from kernel.org and use that?

I would appreciate any feedback - I'm learning but I need some guidance :).

Many thanks in advance,
MB