Re: Nikon 2100 USB and Linux?

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 16:29:56 -0500
"Robert L. Harris" <Robert.L.Harris@rdlg.net> wrote:

> I just picked up a Nikon "CoolPix" 2100 for my wife.  It has a cute
> little USB interface which oddly acts as a USB storage device.  I'm
> curious though if anyone know if Gphoto or any other other software can
> interact with the camera directly so I can take pics with it web cam
> style etc?

I've got a different model which might not offer the same
connections. I played with this a year ago, so I don't remember the
details, but thus far, I think, it didn't use USB but a video signal
which I think to have plugged into my TV card's antena signal, The
cable came with the camera. Then I could use xawtv to watch. But
somehow I wasn't very happy with that, why I didn't repeat the
experiment since then. My bio-memory isn't very good, so take this
with a grain of salt. Also, I have no idea how the v4l device could be
used as a webcam (streaming video). Should work somehow though.

HTH

--
Christoph Simon
ciccio@kiosknet.com.br