Re: Woody/stable: kernel-source-* kernel-headers-* ?!? Confused.

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 09:16:23PM -0700, s. keeling said
> Could someone please 'splain to me what goes with what here?  I've
> updated to 3.0r2.  The plan so far is:
>
>   (i)  Install kernel-image-2.4.18-686
>   (ii) Go for updated kernel sources and re-build.
>
> I see there's kernel-source-2.4.18 and:
>
>   kernel-headers-2.4.18 - Header files related to Linux kernel version 2.4.18
>   kernel-headers-2.4.18-686 - Linux kernel headers 2.4.18 on PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/PIV
>   kernel-headers-2.4.18-1-686 - Linux kernel headers 2.4.18 on PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/PIV
>   kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4 - Headers for Linux kernel version 2.4.18 (bf variant) on 386
>
> Will all of those work with kernel-source-2.4.18?

kernel-headers-2.4.18-686

> Which one _should_
> I be using (PIII laptop workstation box; not server)?

Eh? The kernel-headers packages only matter while you're building
modules.

> What's "bf
> variant" and why should I care?  One of the google pages I looked at
> said, "The bf2.4 kernel is limited by the desire to keep it on
> floppies during installation."

The bf2.4 kernel variety is stripped down and only includes a
*selection* of available kernel modules.  This is so the total is small
enough to fit on a single floppy disk for the installer.  The
kernel-image-2.4.18-<cpu> packages, on the other hand, include ALL the
available modules.

> I can't imagine why I would want to do
> that.  If it doesn't boot, I'll just slap a bootable CD in, boot from
> that, and fix whatever's broken.  I don't think I need to care about
> bf*, or am I missing something?

Right.

> PS     Just a suggestion, but it might help, in the future, if those
>        descriptions above were tightened up a bit.  Both
>        kernel-headers-2.4.18-686 and kernel-headers-2.4.18-1-686 are
>        described the same.

Because they are the same, sorta.  The -1- package is newer and is
related to fixing a serious security flaw in the original 2.4.18
packages, IIRC.

> PPS    For extra marks :-), why the proliferation of source & header
>        packages?  I thought this kind of thing was supposed to be
>        controlled by #ifdef & friends.  I can understand having
>        thirteen pre-built kernel-image packages, but why sixteen
>        kernel-headers-2.4.18?

Because you need one for each kernel-image package.  When you build a
kernel, you end up with some modules, a kernel image and some configured
header files (most importantly, modversions.h, which you need to build
modules for the kernel).  The kernel-image packages contain the kernel
image itself, and all the modules you built along with it.  The
kernel-headers bit contains all the configured header files that you
would need to build *other* modules for that kernel.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:                  anarchy benelux underground CIA AIEWS Consul