Re: Changing the name of my computer

> just for the record, the command
>
> $ grep -rsl achilles /etc
>
> will do the same, but a huge lot more efficient (being just 1 process
> instead of 1 for every file in /etc)
> -r is of course recursive
> -s surpresses error messages (lilo.conf for example is not be readable by
> normal users)
> -l outputs the filename instead of the matched lines
> man grep for more neat stuff ;-)

aha   did it without the $ and it worked.

Now:

I have edited all instances of achilles to my new hostname (tranquillity)
and I ran the shell command again.

Now I get all the same files as before come up except with ~ at the end.
What does the ~ mean? I tried to edit these files but was informed that the
'buffer is read only'

Cheers

Tendril