Re: freeamp cannot open audio device, but aplay works fine

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 10:04:42PM +0100, Roland Kwee wrote:
> Strange problem: Freeamp (zinf) says "cannot open audio device",
> but aplay (included with alsa-tools) plays soundfiles just fine.
>
> I am running linux-2.6.0, Freeamp 2.1.1, aplay 0.9.6.

Ok well you might not have the alsa plugin for freeamp.

I'm using unstable so the package I would need is:
zinf-plugin-alsa - ALSA plugin for ZINF

for stable it would be:
libfreeamp-alsa - ALSA plugin for FreeAmp

so you would do:
apt-get install name-of-package

and then configure freeamp to use alsa.

An alternative approach is to compile a kernel which includes
OSS emulation, so you can use the ALSA drivers and still be able
to access them through OSS applications.

Hope that helps,
Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>