Joining the 2.6.1-mm2 worry-ranks: modversions.h

I now finally have 2.6.1-mm2 installed and running. However, I'm having
major problems.

The forcedeth driver appears not be working. I upgraded from 2.4.20 to get this driver. It says this in dmesg:
eth1: forcedeth.c: subsystem 01043:0c11 bound to 0000:00:04.0

I added an entry for it as eth1 in interfaces, identical to my other NIC but with a different IP, but I couldn't reach anything outside when I plugged the nforce NIC into my network. I want to be able to remove my old NIC so I can put it in my planned server and just stick with the nforce one in this box.

I get a lot of error messages about QM_Modules: Function not
implemented, or something along those lines. What does this mean?

The latest NVIDIA graphics driver complains that it can't find modversions.h. I don't understand what that means, or how to fix it.

I can only assume that all of these errors are related to me not doing something right when I was preparing my kernel.

Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated!

Joe