Re: who needs char-major-6?

Hello

Christian Schnobrich (<schnobs@babylon-kino.de>) wrote:

> my syslog shows many comlaints from modprobe, "Can't locate module
> char-major-6" -- every 32 seconds, as it seems.
>
> Some googling told me that char-major-6 is somehow related to the PC
> parallel port. Now, I have nothing whatsoever connected to my parallel
> port.

Yes, seems that is used for parallel ports. You can use

ls -l /dev | grep ' 6,'

to list all devices with major 6.

> How can I find out which process requests modprobe to load c-m-6, so
> that I can perhaps make it stop?

Either load the module for parallel port support, or, if you don't want
it to be loaded, add

alias char-major-6 off

to your /etc/modutils/aliases and run update-modules.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen