Re: help! - how to get postgres 7.3 back

On Friday 09 January 2004 17:49, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On 2004-01-09, Richard Lyons penned:
> > Stupid me! I have cups problems and that foomatic bug.  Some apps
> > print the wrong way round on the sheet, so I did an upgrade via
> > aptitude to get the debugged foomatic and see if that would cure
> > the printing. (it didn't).
> >
> > But I forgot to check whether postgres would be upgraded and it
> > was. Now I cannot access my database.
> >
> > Running sid.  postgresql is now 7.4,  but won't open until I
> > upgrade the database, which I can't without 7.3.  What do I do?
>
> You know, I got this same error after the upgrade, but I restarted
> postgres manually (invoke-rc.d postgresql restart) and it shut up.
> Worth a try?

Thanks Monique.

In fact, ignorant of invoke-rc.d, I did /etc/init.d/postgresql start
(having already ascertained it was not running).  That was when it said
it could not start until database upgraded.  I would quote it but it's
scrolled off the top of the history by now.  I've already downgraded
postgresql-client but am stuck with postgresql (see other posting on
this thread) so I can't try again, being betwixt and between right now.

I seem to be getting mired down here. :-(

--
richard