cups problem - I think

Recently - probably since an update ten days or so ago - the printout
from some apps (Mozilla and Qcad) are printed turned 90 degrees, so
that a chunk is off the page.  Other apps print normally.  I did a
further update today as the foomatic bug has been squashed, and now
foomatic has been installed correctly, but that has not helped.  If I
tell qcad it is printing portrait, it gets the landscape format drawing
the right way up, but lines starting right of where the page supposedly
would be are omitted, so that is little help.

Running sid.  Printer is a xerox docuprint using "Xerox DocuPrint 4508
foomatic/ljet4 (recommended)" printer driver -- it is in fact a
docuprint 4512, but I seem to be the only person in the world with one
of those.  It worked before.

Anyone seen anything similar?  More important, can anyone suggest what I
have set up wrong?

TIA

--
richard