New users not working via NIS and PAM

Hello all.

I'm using Sarge. New users made through adduser can't log in on NIS
clients (OS X). Old users (created when it was Woody) can. When I log in
as an old user and try to su to a new user, I get a pam_authenticate error.

Does anyone know if there's a "reported" issue with pam in either OS X
10.2 or the current version of pam in sarge not working properly with
NIS clients and users created with the new user management stuff?

Do passwords get encrypted differently? I'm using crypt, not MD5---and
again, old passwords/users work.

Is there any way I can easily fix this?

Thanks