Re: graphical frontend to pon/poff

Paul Johnson wrote:

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 02:22:26PM +0000, Simon Tod wrote:

I thought gkdial would be just the ticket to use as a
'wrapper' around pon/poff - gpppon is too simplistic -
and it seems to work, reasonably well. BUT the dialog
box doesn't display the fact that it's successfully
connected and the counters that display bytes
transferred and length of connection stay at zero.
ALSO, if I close the dialog box when I'm not connected
I can't reopen it, except from the command line and
the whole point was to have a nice user friendly icon
on the desktop...

Frontends are overkill.  Two options on how to do this better with
just the ppp package with no frontends:

With any modem: Add the "demand" option to the PPP configuration.

With external, non-USB modems (recommended): Add the "persist" option
and rename /etc/ppp/no_ppp_on_boot to /etc/ppp/ppp_on_boot.  To
connect: Turn modem on.  To disconnect:  Turn modem off.

That is a neat idea. I use fvwm and wmppp because I can connect with it and it keeps showing what is happening, which I think I want to know, although with my external modem the lights show the same thing and as you say "frontends are overkill".

Hugo.