Re: exit usage

Hello Jan!

-> su -c and sudo for executing a script as a different user
On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 03:17:37AM +0100, Jan Minar wrote:
... definitively; but if you really wanted to know how to do it the
Wrong Way:

Generally, as a Unix process exec's another one (a child), the child
can't mess with the parent's internals more than with any other
process'--they are just separated processes.  The Unix way to terminate
a process without its consent is to kill(8) it.  So the last line of
your script would read:

	kill -KILL "$PPID"

--the shell variable $PPID stores the parent process id.  AFAICT, it's a
POSIX-required feature, so your sh(1) should provide it.

Hmmm, I guess the OP's intentions are as follows:
- start from the root prompt
- execute a script as a different user
- end at the root prompt

@Rick: Just to make sure, did I understand you correctly?

I understand the contents of your, Jan's, posting, but I'm afraid I
fail to understand how it applies to the OP's intentions (at least the
way I see them)...
Can you please hit me gently with a clue bat?

Thanks,
Flo