postgres do.maintenance question

How important is it to run the default-install do.maintenance cron job
if you're running autovacuum?  Should I just get rid of it?

Since my last upgrade of postgres on unstable, I've received the
following email several times a day:

Subject: Cron <postgres@home> /usr/bin/test -x
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/do.maintenance &&
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/do.maintenance
-a

Contents:
The PostgreSQL autovacuum daemon is running and force is not enabled

To make it a bit weirder, I see the following:

Here's what postmaster.conf says:

# To use autovacuuming, you must have the postgresql-contrib package
# installed.  You must also set AUTOVACUUM to yes in this file.
#
# Autovacuuming requires the following options in postgresql.conf:
#  stats_start_collector = true
#  stats_row_level = true
#
# If autovacuuming is running, the do.maintenance script, which is run
# from
# cron, will not do vacuuming unless it is given the -F (force) option.
#
AUTOVACUUM=yes
#

However, in postgresql.conf, I have

#stats_start_collector = true
stats_row_level = true

(Only one of the two referenced variables is set.)
--
monique