Re: www.gnu.org, glibcbug, bug@gnu.org, dpkg-reconfigure locales

"s. keeling" <keeling@spots.ab.ca> writes:

> What a strange loop I've landed in.  I started out trying to make
> en_CA locale work.  "dpkg-reconfigure locales" everybody said, but
> that didn't do it.  Once I edited /etc/locale.gen and
> /etc/locale.alias, then ran locale-gen, it was finally fixed.

>From what little I know about this, that sounds like the way it's
actually supposed to work.

> In /etc/locale.alias it says to use the glibcbug script to report it
> to gnu.  That sends to glibc-bug-reports-stable@gnu.org, which
> bounces.
> What do I do now?  [Note: cc:'ed to Woody's libc6 maintainer.]

If it's a problem in the Debian packaging ("'dpkg-reconfigure' doesn't
do what I expect" generally is) then you probably don't want to report
it to GNU in any case.  It's easy to report a bug to the Debian
bug-tracking system, though, probably using the 'reportbug' command in
the 'reportbug' package.  ('reportbug libc6' or 'reportbug locales')
If it really is a problem in the upstream source, rather than the
packaging, the Debian maintainer should take reponsibility for
forwarding it appropriately.  See also http://bugs.debian.org/ and,
for example, http://bugs.debian.org/libc6.

	-- Abra Mitchell